Asif’s career started out in theatre when he first started performing on stage in Mumbai in 1991, and it remains his great love.
He has starred in over 20 plays, performing regularly at Mumbai’s famous Prithvi Theatre, and travelling with plays across India and overseas. He has performed in English, Hindi and Urdu productions, and toured the United States, England and Dubai.
His most notable performances have included playing five characters in Feroz Khan’s production of Mahatma V/s Gandhi, performing the title role in Manav Kaul’s acclaimed Mamtaz Bhai Patang Waale, and playing a 12-year old child with Spina Bifida in Main Bhi Superman.
“Asif Basra worked with me in one of my early directorial ventures in theatre, Girish Karnad’s Tughlaq. The first word that comes to mind when I hear the name Asif Basra is sincere, and the second, congenial. Mixed with talent, I would say that it makes for a very healthy combination; one that makes working with him a splendid experience.” – Vikram Kapadia, Actor and Director
– Hamlet – Phoenix Players, Mumbai. (English)
– Merchant of Venice – Tony Patel Productions, Mumbai. (English)
– Oh No! Not Again – Clowns R Us Productions, all over India. (English)
– Mahatma V/s Gandhi – Feroz Khan Productions, in India, USA, UK, Dubai. (English)
– Tuglak – Masque Productions, in Mumbai and Kolkata (English)
– Kumbh Katha – T-Pot Production, Delhi and Mumbai (Hindi)
– Mumtaz Bhai Patangwale – Aranya Production, all over India. (Hindi)
– Main Bhi Superman – Grips Theatre Productions, all over India. (Hindi)
– Kumbh Katha – T-Pot Productions (Hindi)
– Mumtaz Bhai Patangwale – Aranya Productions (Hindi)
– A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Alap Productions, in Mumbai. (Hindi)
– Mera Kuch Saaman – Reactions Productions, in Mumbai (Hindi)
– Kiski Biwi Kiska Shauhar – performed by Munira Productions, in Mumbai. (Urdu)
– Do Quame – performed by Avishkar Productions, in Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune. (Urdu)
– C for Clown – performed by Cinematograph Players in India, Reunion Islands, Dubai. (Gibberish)